At New Britain Oils, all the palm oil comes from our own
"Sustainable" sources. This means that it has been independently
audited to ensure that it is environmentally friendly and socially
responsible, aswell as being economically viable. In addition,
thanks to our unique low cost supply chain, we're able to offer
sustainable palm-based products at everyday prices.
This means that certified sustainable palm oil is now available and affordable,
making it the right choice for your business and your customers.
Here are just some of the ways we produce palm oil differently:
- We produce palm oil in a way that protects high conservation value forests and biodiversity.
- Our oil yields per hectare are amongst the highest on the planet thanks to our in-house elite seed breeding programme and agronomic methods. This matters because higher yields means less pressure on tropical forests around the world.
- Unlike other producers, we are committed to minimising our impact on the environment through our "no net carbon loss" expansion plan. We aim to achieve this by rehabilitating abandoned estates, optimising the yield of smallholders, acquiring and improving the yield of poor performing estates and planting on low carbon value land (eg.grassland).
- We also take our social responsibilities very seriously by ensuring there is a real benefit to local communities from the palm oil we produce. We do this by funding housing, education and medical facilities for employees and their families as well as community initiatives through the NBPOL foundation.
- We reward our neighbouring smallholders by paying them a premium for producing palm oil in a sustainable way...even though we don't pass this onto our customers.
- We were the first company in the world to include smallholders (more than 8000 of them) within the scope of our certification process. Our sustainable palm is also their sustainabile palm oil.
- The origin of our palm oil we use at New Britain Oils can be traced back to our parent company's own certified sustainable* operations in Papua New Guinea and The Solomon Islands, and our supply chain is independently verified by BM TRADA.
So you can rest assured that New Britain products haven't cost the earth.
Find out more about our sustainable supply chain here.
Supply Chain & Sustainability Documents
NBPOL leads in investor Forest Footprint Disclosure initiative
New Britain Palm Oil Ltd (NBPOL) is pleased to be ranked as sector leader in agricultural products in the 2012 Forest Footprint Disclosure (FFD) Annual Review.
Click here to download the full report
*Certified against the Principles & Criteria of the RSPO (The Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil).
Find out more about RSPO here
Find out more about NBPOL here
Find out more about FFD here
Why buying Sustainable Palm oil matters?
Do you know if the palm oil ingredient in your products has actually come from a sustainable source? If it doesn't, you could be directly contributing to the harmful climate change effects of tropical deforestation and the destruction of habitats, that are home to such endangered species as Orangutans and the Sumatran Tiger. You might also be funding the illegal clearance of people off their own land.
Whether you buy products made with our oil or certified sustainable palm from elsewhere, the only way to stop all these negative things from happening is by sending a clear message to growers that you value sustainable practices. Only by choosing oil that actually comes from a sustainable source can you be certain that your actions are making a positive difference!